Home News Politics Buhari Planning To Arrest Jonathan Over $2.1bn arms Probe – CDD
Buhari Planning To Arrest Jonathan Over $2.1bn arms Probe – CDD

Buhari Planning To Arrest Jonathan Over $2.1bn arms Probe – CDD


Sambo Dasuki-Goodluck JonathanThe Committee for the Defence of Democracy (CDD) has raised alarm over an alleged plan by the All Progressives Congress-led federal government to arrest former President Goodluck Jonathan over allegations surrounding the over $2.1 billion arms deal scandal.

The former president, who handed over power to President Muhammadu Buhari on May 29 last year, has been mentioned by most of the officials that served under his administration and indicted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, in the arms deal scandal.

The man in the centre of the over $2.1 billion arms deal scandal, former National Security Adviser, NSA, Sambo Dasuki, claimed that he was only carrying out instructions of the former president and committed no wrongdoing.

However, the CDD in a statement by its Publicity Secretary, Comrade Akindele Lawson, described this latest move by the Buhari-led APC government as the height of the series of blame that the current administration has continued to heap on the immediate past Jonathan administration.

Mr. Lawson asked President Buhari to stop blaming his predecessor for Nigeria’s problems, while urging the government to instead focus on delivering dividends of democracy to Nigerians, as promised during the electioneering campaigns.

“It is already eight months in the life of the Buhari government and all we have continued to hear is that our problems were caused by the last administration, without anything pointing towards a rescue plan by this government”, he said.

The CDD warned that if the president continues piloting the affairs of the country with so much focus on the past, then there will be a danger ahead as there may be no indication of any change, which Nigerians have earnestly anticipated from the APC government, in any near future.

On the ongoing arms probe by the Buhari government, the CDD stressed that it was wrong for anybody to claim that ammunition and military hardware were not bought for the Nigerian Armed Forces during the Jonathan administration and described the probe as nothing other than the probe of the campaign funding of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, which is just being sensationalized by the APC government.

“It is on record that despite the difficulties that the Jonathan administration faced in procuring arms from some western nations over alleged human rights issues, he still managed to source sizable quantities of platforms, weapons, bullets and other ammunition for the Nigerian Army, Navy and Air Force, which were used to tackle insurgency to a near end before the end of his administration.

“There is no doubt that the purchase of massive arms and ammunition in the last one year of the Jonathan government made it possible for the military to root out Boko Haram terrorists from all parts of Yobe and Adamawa States, leaving only about three local government areas in Borno State, partially under the control of the insurgents, as at May 2015”, the statement further said.

The CDD, therefore, challenged the Buhari administration to deny the fact that the Nigerian military was still using the arms and ammunition procured by Jonathan to fight insurgency in the Northeast, pointing out that the Buhari government has not bought any new arms since its inauguration about eight months ago.

“Finally, the CDD, wishes to remind President Buhari and the APC, that elections are over and less focus should be placed on Dr. Jonathan or his party, PDP. Our economy is sliding towards a recession and several uncertainties are already trailing our National polity, as it is time for the APC government to face the business of governance and stop the blame game”, Comrade Lawson said.



Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *