Former President, Goodluck Jonathan‘s Aide de Camp, Col. Ojogbane Adegbe, slammed a N100million lawsuit against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission for alleged unlawful detention.
In the suit, with file number CV/995/16 and filed by the plaintiff through his counsel, Ogwu Onoja (SAN) on February 17, 2016, Adegbe said he has been detained since February 11, 2016 without being charged with any offence.
The suit was filed before the Federal Territory High Court in Gudu and is to commence hearing before Justice Y. Halilu on Friday, February 26, 2016.
The plaintiff, according to the suit, posed that his continued detention is a violation of right to personal liberty and freedom of movement guaranteed under Section 35 and 41 of the 1999 Constitution.
He also said his detention violates Articles 5,6 and 12 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights.
The plaintiff’s prayers reads: “A declaration that the arrest and continued detention of the applicant by the respondent since February 11, 2016 is unconstitutional as it offends his right to personal liberty as guaranteed by S. 35 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended).
“An order directing the respondent to release the applicant from unlawful detention with immediate effect.
“Or in the alternative to prayer 2 hereof, an order admitting the applicant to bail pending his trial in a court of competent jurisdiction.
“N100m as general damages for unlawful detention of the applicant.
“Written apology by the respondent to the applicant.”
Adegbe was arrested in connection with the $2.1b arms purchase scam, involving the embattled former National Security Adviser (NSA), Sambo Dasuki.
The former ADC allegedly collected N10 billion from the office of the NSA.
According to Adegbe, he was summoned to face EFCC interrogation by the Army authorities from the United Kingdom where he had been attending a course since he finished serving as Jonathan’s ADC on May 29, 2015.
Ads - Advertise Here