Senate President Bukola Saraki says he has lost count of the records of charges of false asset declaration that was instituted against him before the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT).
He also said facts about the charges were no longer fresh in his memory because they bordered on offences that he was accused of committing between five to 14 years ago.
Saraki stated this in an affidavit, which he personally deposed to in support of his fresh application seeking the quashing of the charges against him at the CCT and discharging him of the crime.
“The facts relating to these matters are no longer fresh in my memory quite apart from the fact that I have lost many of my records pertaining to them,” he stated in the affidavit.
Saraki’s fresh application, which was dated and filed on March 4, 2016, seeks to halt his trial again after it had been validated by the Supreme Court through a judgement delivered on February 5, 2016.
He was first arraigned for false asset declaration at the CCT on September 22, 2015, about six months ago.
Saraki, who had submitted four asset declaration forms, allegedly “corruptly acquired many properties while in office as Governor of Kwara State, but failed to declare some of them in the said forms earlier filled and submitted.”
He also allegedly made an anticipatory declaration of assets upon his assumption of office as governor, which he later acquired through the back door.
Expect more delay tactics from Saraki and his lawyers in the coming days.