About 13 people were reported to have been killed, and six injured in an accidental fire early Saturday, August 6th, during a birthday party at a bar in the northern French city of Rouen, 13 are dead and six are injured, and more than 50 firemen attended the scene. An officials said.
The blaze, which was France’s deadliest in a decade, was sparked by the candles of a birthday cake. They appear to have ignited the polystyrene ceiling of the basement room where the celebrations were taking place.
The secretary general of the Seine-Maritime prefecture Yvan Cordier reportedly said one of the injured was in a critical condition.
The victims, who were primarily between the ages of 18-25, were poisoned by a toxic mix of gases released by the burning plastic. One of the injured was still fighting for his life.
Local official Laurent Labadie, who was at the scene of the fire, described the blaze as accidental.
“The blaze started at around midnight at the Cuba Libre bar in the city centre, and the firemen were at the scene by 00:20 am (2220 GMT Friday). Its burnt facade and broken front windows were protected by metal barriers and police on Saturday”.
Ads - Advertise Here